The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Monday, June 26, 2017

I Am Not Interesting

"I don't feel like I am an interesting person anymore." I mentioned this to my husband as we drove down the road, but I had been mulling it over for awhile and had talked to at least one other friend that week.

"What am I supposed to talk about?  How much laundry I got done today?"

I have tried to be a well read person, which fell by the wayside as I got busy as a mom.  When the down time came I didn't necessarily want to read great or difficult literature.  I tried to write.  Which occassionaly worked out, but after awhile petered out as I lost my purpose for writing.  I tried my hand at knitting.  Now, that was something I definitely enjoyed, but it seemed to fade out as my interest and time would wax and wane.  There was not much fruit for the hours put in.

I was also not doing so well in the "do not compare yourself with others" department. I saw women homeschooling while still working.  I saw moms creating crafts that were crazy, beautiful and ready for craft fairs.  I saw moms heading all sorts of projects and events.  Doing wonderful things with their children and generally looking far more successful than I could dream of having the time or energy to pursue.

Finally, instead of bemoaning how uninteresting I had become in my 50's I turned to the Bible to figure out what God would tell me constitutes an interesting person.  I figured that would give me some direction on what I needed to develop in my life. What I discovered helped me immensely, and changed my perspective entirely.  The word "interesting" is not in the King James Bible.

It set me back for awhile.  If we are not supposed to be interesting, then what are we supposed to be?

Peculiar.

Well.... that I didn't like too much, I mean, I think a lot of people probably think I am "peculiar" as in "weird", but I don't think I want to cultivate that quality.  So, I consulted my dictionary to see if I could find something better. The actual definition for "peculiar" is not synonymous with "weird"; it actually means:  Appropriate; belonging to a person and to him only. Or Singular; Particular, and my favorites: Special, and Belonging to a nation, system, or other thing, and not to others.  (American Dictionary of the English Language Noah Webster, 1828)

According to the Bible we are to become peculiar people. I found this is in 1 Peter 2:9 and Titus 2:14. Finally, the light dawned.  Becoming an interesting person is entirely a self focus.  I will develop a hobby, talent or interest that will make me more interesting to talk to. People will come to me to ask me about ... whatever.... Me, me, me.  I didn't necessarily think wanting to be interesting was self focus, but in truth it is.

Peculiar is a focus on who I belong to. "belonging to a person and to him only."  "Special"...."and not to others." I don't have to develop hobbies, or search for high and lofty goals.  I belong to Jesus and he works through me.  I have found the focus, not just for my writing, but for my life.  It is no longer what I can do to develop myself and not even what I can do for the Lord.  It is what the Lord will do through me.  I am peculiar. I am His and no other.  The purpose for all that is to be done is found in the second part of 1 Peter 2:9 "...that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light."

Praise God I am an uninteresting person, I sincerely hope to become mighty peculiar.

Who have himself for us, that the might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.  Titus 2:14


Recent Tribe Sightings:











No comments: