The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Friday, July 26, 2013

Homeschooling Veteran

I have been preparing for school. This week we decided on our start date -- August 15.  I love school and I can hardly wait to get all my planning completed and dive into routine. I realized something this week, I am a veteran.

I often read other homeschooling blogs for ideas and encouragement, and I ran across one that said she was a "10 year homeschooling veteran". It caught me short. Oh my -- I am a home school veteran of 15 years.

In some ways I don't often feel like a veteran. I am never sure of how the schedule is going work, and I am often questioning my curriculum choices. In other ways, I have gained confidence that only years of experience can give me. I know how to organize my materials for daily use, I am so familiar with my younger kids elementary curriculum that I don't even have to review the teacher's manuals anymore.

Fifteen years has also afforded me the opportunity to decide that some things just aren't worth our time pursuing. One of the things both Jerome and I have been burdened about is focusing our days on the main thing.  We have built our days around the Word of God and His principles. It doesn't do us any good to have our children proficient in math or English literature if they don't have any knowledge of the Lord and his Word. The verse I think about as I plan our days is Matthew 6:33 --

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

So, this is how a 15 year veteran is shaping up her school area:

This my daily work credenza with our new organization baskets.  One of my daily elementary school materials, the older kids folders for grading and review and a basket for each of the 3 youngers. I have included their workbooks and a little pencil box with crayons, colored pencils and scissors.

 
 
We call this cabinet "Mama's Locked cabinet." It's only locked to keep it orderly. During the school day it is almost always open. These are all the important school supplies for lap booking, or just working. Graph paper, notebooks, glue, pencils, markers, etc. 

 
The bookshelves are loaded with lots of reading material.



The maps and artwork for discussion are up and ready.
 
Fifteen years and I still can't wait to get started.





No comments: