The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grace

In a moment of fun, Riane sent us a little picture. That picture swirled my thoughts back almost sixteen years ago when the idea of homeschooling crossed my mind. I remember that our one bookshelf held a file folder with a handwritten "home school" on the tab. One friend noticed it and asked me about it. I was kind of embarrassed and just said that we were thinking about it.

Jerome had a lot of questions and I did a lot of research. I even checked into a local pre-school. However, one walk clinched my heart. I had taken the kids on a walk around the neighborhood and passed by the Christian School. I tried to imagine pushing Braydon in the stroller and walking Riane up to the school to say "Goodbye" for her day at kindergarten. The whole rest of the walk my heart was burdened. I really didn't want to say "Goodbye" for a day or even half a day -- I wanted to keep doing what I had been doing. I was a full time Mom and I did not want to hand this part over either.

The decision being made, we pushed forward. There were awesome days, total wash out days, and days I was sure I had made a mistake. I made curriculum changes, and tried a co-op group for a brief time. Every year we would change up our schedule, try something new, throw something out and keep marching on. The questions came from all sides as she grew older. What about high school? How will you teach upper level math? Can you really do science effectively at home? Somehow we figured it all out and just kept teaching it all at home.

One day, she was done. Graduated. She will be learning for the rest of her life, but not at our little home school. I made a ton of mistakes. There are things I wished I had done differently, there are things she wishes I had done differently, but in the end, I got the picture.





It wasn't anything I did. It wasn't a teaching method, curriculum choice or schedule idea. It wasn't me. It was the Grace of God.

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:"
 
2 Corinthians 9:8

No comments: