The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Men of the Strongest Character

My son has always been interested in the military. Lately, he has become quite focused on SEALs. SEALS are started on their intense training in a class called BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition / SEALS). In his research on requirements and general information he came up on a documentary on YouTube that follows a BUD/S Training class 234 .  He started telling me all about this documentary and the great stuff he was watching. I asked him (of course) about language. I had images of "boot camp" stuff I had heard about.  A lot of yelling and cursing.

"No, no language."

That's good. I really didn't get too excited until one day he said: "You know listening to these instructors is like living at home. They sound like you guys."

Hello! That comment had me grab a cup of tea and plop in the chair next to him.

"Excuse me? I am some sort of drill Sergeant now?"
"Nah, I mean, they say the same stuff."

What I saw has kept our family talking for a good two weeks. First, I recounted it all to Jerome who then organized a family viewing of one segment. Braydon and I completed watching the rest of the segments a few nights later and we still bring it up in conversation.

On the official website for Navy SEALs the stated goal of BUD/S training is as follows:
Basic underwater Demolition/SEAL training, or BUD/S, is designed to find and develop men of the strongest character who give everything they have to accomplish their mission and support the men on their team.
Well now, it is all becoming clear. Our family is committed to Christ and we are striving to raising children in such a way that will "...make ready a people prepared for the Lord." (Luke 1:17). In other words, we want to raise our children to be of the "strongest character who give everything they have to accomplish their mission..."  Apparently, being a Christian parent, attempting to raise children mighty in spirit for the Lord, is akin to being a Navy SEAL instructor.

So, we say the same the stuff like : "Pay attention to details." "When you are asked to do a job, do your best the first time." "Follow directions!" "I am not here to tear you up, I am trying to build you up."

I have to be real here and say that it is hard for a Mama to be excited about the prospect of sending her son off to be a SEAL some day. It is dangerous. However, I support my son -- how could I not support a young man who truly desires to be a man of the strongest character.

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.  1 John 3:16
 
 

No comments: