The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Monday, July 2, 2012

O Ye of Little Faith


Thursday night I was awakened by an odd dream. I was hanging a particular pair of pants on the clothesline. Then they were missing and, as dreams go, there was a confusing middle part. However, the clarity came back when I approached the clothesline again, and a young lady was taking the pants off the line and I was approaching to get my clothes back. As the lady began to turn, I woke --A hard, jolting, heart pounding awakening. I prayed.

 All I could remember praying was a "hedge of protection." Sometimes I will pray walk the house and look in each child's room, or read scripture. This time I did not feel moved to rise from my bed. I did sleep well, though and I mentioned this odd dream to my husband in the morning. During family devotions the verse that caught my attention was "...and set an hedge about it ..." Mark 12:1.

Our day was pretty normal as days go and Jerome went off to work and I left to have a day full of errands. I decided to leave Adela home with Heaven for the very first time. They were going to bake a dessert for our get together the next day. Before I left I hung out the last load of clothes, and there were those pants from my dream. "That's so odd," I thought.

I dropped two children at the piano teacher's house and took my remaining four children off to buy hot dog buns. The music was playing; Braydon was talking all about guitars and music until...
"Braydon! Do you see that storm we are driving into?"

"Yeah, looks big."
I slowed the car as I could it see it moving like a wall.

"We are turning around!"
I frantically handed the phone to Braydon instructing him to call the piano teacher.

"I know they have a basement. See if we should pick up the kids."
I was racing to the piano teacher house.

"Call Adela, tell her to forget the laundry on the line head for the basement NOW!"
I knew my daughter would try to gather in the clothes on the line if she saw the rain coming, but this was more than rain. The radio was telling everyone to get in and get safe. He finally reached her; she was already in the basement with Heaven.

I was in the piano teacher's driveway; the kids were wide-eyed and racing to the car. I backed out of the driveway to barrel back the way we came -- there was a huge tree branch down where we had just driven the car.
"Oh children, that could have fallen on our car!"

My only thought was to get all my children into one place. I was in the middle of country roads -- always a farm house I could run to, but I wanted to get them all home and we were only four miles away. Dirt was flung against the car -- I didn't know what hit us. I dodged the branch in the road, but had to stop to let another tree fall. We finally got home.
I sent everyone to the basement except my two older boys. We raced patio furniture into the barn and away from the house.

We all clambered into the house telling our exciting stories. The storm had past. I believe we spent the worst of it outside driving or hauling patio furniture. The safest of us all had been Adela and Heaven who had spent most of the excitement in the basement.
I told Adela my dream and said that I thought God woke me up to pray so she would be safe today. Then I mentioned my verse from the morning. God had "hedge of protection" on my mind from start to finish.

"Mom, that's kind of weird. My hand was on those pants you dreamed about when I realized I had to get Heaven in or we were going to be in trouble."
For awhile I rode the high of praise. Thinking about how God had prompted me to pray a hedge of protection on my family that day so that we could be safe during a storm He already knew about. He even showed me a verse in the morning, as if to say he was already there. I thought about Ephesians 6:12 and how "... we wrestle not against flesh and blood ...." it was spiritual and fought out in prayer.

Then I came crashing down and saw myself in shame. If I had really trusted the Lord and his protection, would I have thrown five children in a car and drove them around? Wouldn't I just have ridden the storm out at the piano teacher's house in perfect trust of his care for the two at home? Didn't I pray all last night, didn't he give me a verse in the morning? My adrenaline racing Mom Moment, was not heroics to keep my chicks together, it was lack of faith and perfect peace. Still my patient, gracious saviour kept us all in his hand.
"And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, o thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" Matthew 14:31

2 comments:

rizzo6 said...

Great story! And good lesson too -- I had 24 hours when Catie was supposed to be heading home from CIA this Christmas and we couldn't reach her. Did I trust God for her...nope. I freaked out. Neat how He touched you about it all ahead of time!
Have you ever watched Tim Hawkins -- Christian comedian? He's very good (and clean!)...he has a "bit" he does about "hedge of protection" that's pretty funny! You can probably find his video clips on YouTube or GodTube (GodVine?).
Love you guys!
Sue

Richardson Family said...

WOW, that is quite the story. so glad everyone is wll.