The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Friday, December 30, 2011

Holidays = Busy

The holiday season at our house left me breathless and quite tired. The day after Christmas found my 15 minute nap turning into an hour and a movie watching evening with my children into another nap. Fully recovered now, we are back in school and trying to get a little routine going again.

Thanksgiving was a grand time with the Grandma from the land of twinkle and Shine (Las Vegas). I have diligently searched my hard drive and can not find the pictures that we took from that day. My best guess is that I will find them after I finish this post. Oh well. Everyone was as busy as bees preparing for the dinner. Grandma was a great recipe reader!

On the heels of saying Goodbye to Grandma we headed into Christmas preparations. For anyone who receives the family Christmas letter -- my cards were late. Way late. I mailed them on Christmas Eve. It is because of the Letter. I always write a Letter. This time I wrote the Letter. I didn't like it. I wrote it again -- not quite satisfied I read to as many people in the house as I could corral to sit still. Everyone said Hmmm. Jerome said "something's missing". Finally, I wrote the Letter. Done. Three drafts put me seriously behind.

Of course we started the cakes:



Every year our family delivers cheesecakes to as many friends as we possibly can. What a neat thing this year -- my girls baked the greatest share. Between the 4 of us we baked 17 cheesecakes. Two for our dinner and 15 for delivery.

The youngers were geared up for the trip. We had the blessing of cousin Joanne who spent the night and got to go on the delivery trip!


The tribe is ready to roll out with the cheesecakes.


Now here's the real trick. Jerome had to load up 9 kids, 15 cheesecakes and a box of cookies. All he needed were eight tiny reindeer.


He did it! and they were off.


Christmas day was a lot of fun. Jerome cooked some great ribs.

Since we take the children on the Great Googeg shopping trip to pick out their favorite gifts -- Mom and Dad kept their gift giving far more practical. What touched my heart the most was how the kids were very creative and a lot of homemade gifts were given. Jerome had the boys in the barn for some very long days and few late nights to make a special gift for Mama:

The holidays were busy and fun and tiring and occasionally difficult -- but it was special. We spent days remembering that Christ indeed came and came for each one of us. He took off his glory and came to be a tiny, humble baby. We also spent time just being thankful for our family.

My little songbird asked me to spend a couple of extra minutes sitting on her bed to talk tonight. I sat down and she said: "In this family we talk. We talk and laugh and smile and share."


No comments: