The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Walking On

I haven't posted in so long. In the last month I have attended a funeral, a wedding, and held a brand new baby on the day of his birth. I have cried and prayed with friends who are walking a rough and rocky road.  As a family we have struggled and prayed over some decisions, and we have a child who is walking through a bit of a trial right now. I caught myself saying, "I'm tired." just one too many times. I am living with the light of Christ how can I be tired? The truth is, when we wrestle we get tired, but in the wrestling we return again and again to life-giving words of scripture and encouragement from others, and I expect to come out stronger.

I decided to leave you with some quotes that have rumbled in my brain this week:


From a book called Freedom from Fear: Overcoming Fear and Anxiety by Neil T. Anderson
The coward always asks, "What do I stand to lose?" The courageous person always asks, "What do I stand to gain?" One sees the risks, the other sees the opportunities.
AND...
King Saul and his men saw themselves in relation to the giant and trembled. David saw Goliath in relation to God and triumphed.
From the book Great Voices of the Reformation: An Anthology by Henry Emerson Fosdick

As quoted by John Wycliffe in writing on temptation:
He that truly loveth his Maker refuses in will and liking all things that are in the world. ... Sometimes there are reared against him despisings, reproofs, scorns, and slanders. Therefore it is needful that he take the shield of patience, and be ready to forget and to forgive all wrongs, and to pray for the turning to good of them that hate him and hurt him.

Proverbs 29:18
Where there is no vision, the people perish: But he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

No comments: