The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

I am really not big on Valentine's Day. It is not something Jerome and I necessarily celebrate. When we were younger I think we tried to do the whole romantic "thing". It just never fit us.

The last couple of years, I have tried to do something special for my children -- something small and unexpected. A little "I love you" from Mom and Dad. One year it was a household hunt with clues and they ended up with a Yahtzee game that we all played. One year they all got a gift I had found at the $1 store. This year I had almost forgotten all about it, but then I ran into these great scissors packages at Aldi that I knew the girls and I could really use. So I bought 4 of them. Unfortunately, I never ran into anything I thought would work for the boys.

Monday is our rest day. We do a lot on the weekends and always get home late on Sunday night. This morning Jerome and I were up for our weekly prayer date and he decided that he would take me to Menards for some boy things. I announced to the children that Daddy was taking me on a Valentine's Day drive. Of course, they knew something was up.

I came through the door holding a Diet Coke, "Look what Dad got me for Valentine's Day!"

All the kids peeked behind my back saying, "Yeah, but, what's in the bag?"

We found little things for each child. Braydon loves root beer and we had some particularly good root beer at a friend's house -- so we bought him a 4 -pack of his own.


Ricky is a fix-it man, so we got him a level. This is something he has been asking us about for awhile. I got him started on straightening out all the pictures on our walls.

Wokelle received a little pocket knife tool, thingy that he calls a spy -knife.

Of course, I gave the girls their scissor packages.
The younger girls went right to their projects!

It was a great morning -- honoring our love for our kids and how much we love their unique personalities.

No comments: