The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Mom’s Nook Post


Hanging Out to Dry

As a mom I can sometimes get lost in all that I do and forget that God is working in my life at all times. This summer as I was hanging out my laundry, I started to think about how "hung out to dry" I was feeling. My husband had recently begun teaching a young adult class at our church. Then, he was asked to fill in occasionally in the adult Sunday school class. Not long after he started his rotation teaching a children's church class. I was feeling a little put-out that I did not have a specific ministry in which to participate. Don't get me wrong, I didn't really want one. I was (and still am) teaching six children at home, attending a regular Bible Study and participating where I saw a need, i.e. helping out in Vacation Bible School, cooking for the Easter Breakfast, whatever. I was just having a pity party that morning as I was hanging out the laundry. I realized that it didn't matter if I was hanging out the laundry, teaching a class or cooking a meal. The Lord is to be glorified. If I am out front at this moment or behind the sheets, it doesn't matter where I am; it matters where the Lord is in my life. I began to see how much our physical lives are a "dim reflection" of our spiritual lives.

Sometimes we feel "hung out to dry" by the Lord. I hate that feeling. What am I supposed to do out there? When I am hung out, I get the fresh sunshine and wind to blow through my life. I have the opportunity to come in refreshed and aired out. I am also seen by all who care to take notice. Think of the laundry on the line. Should anyone care to look, they can see that I took everyone swimming, all the suits are right out there, or maybe they see that I have a lot of boys who put holes in the knees of their pants. How I live my life and praise or not praise the Lord during a hang time can also be seen by anyone who cares to look. Am I praising or complaining? Looking for the opportunities to grow and serve where I am – Or wishing I had ended up somewhere else.

What I realized that day did refresh me. It's not my circumstances or my position or my anything – it's really just whether I am glorifying the Lord during my "rinse and spin" or the "hang to dry".

1 comment:

MamaAnt said...

Hello from another ATI family! Came over from your link on the atifamily.com site.

Christi