The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The 4th

I am so glad the 4th fell on a Sunday. There is no better way to honor a country that was founded on Biblical principles than to head off to honor Him first. Church was fairly emotional as we began to ponder how much our country is turning from its Godly beginnings and how much we are needed to not ride on our faith, but stand for it by standing firmly on the Word of God.

After our service we headed over to Jerome's brother's house to have lunch with our family. What a great time to hold the baby and love on our niece.

We left our lunch to participate in a Fourth of July celebration at a nursing home. Our church is starting a nursing home ministry and it is headed up by a great lady. We have been scheduled to have an hour on the first Sunday of every month -- just so happens we got the 4th.

I do believe our time at the nursing home was the most worshipful experience I have had in a long time. I talked with a lady who struggled to put any language together and couldn't even tell me her name, but when we stood for the Star Spangled Banner I saw her looking around and I sprang forward and grabbed her hand. She sang all the words right to me - I sang them back. I held hands with a woman who told me "I have no real family left, this is my last home, I am going die here." She talked with me a long time and encouraged me over and over to "stick with it" every day with those kids. They will never forget these years -- keep teaching them the Bible and showing them Jesus -- "it won't leave them alone when they are older."

I watched my son pat the shoulders of little old ladies who missed their sons, and wrinkled hands grab the face of my youngest and cry and say "cute, cute". We sang hymns, we pledged to the flag, we prayed to our God and I left richer for having spent an hour with Wisdom and Grace.

1 comment:

Melody C. said...

WOW THAT IS SO POWERFUL. THANKS FOR SHARING.