The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 1 - the DC Adventure

We are off on our next big adventure. We have taken a week's vacation to Amtrak to Washington DC and then metro our tribe over the city to sight see.

Day 1 we have barely arrived and we have already had adventures a plenty. We had to drive 2 hours to Toledo to catch the Amtrak train; Wokelle fell fast asleep and when we arrived at the station we discovered that he had wet. I don't mean "Oops, I think I wet." I mean, "Wow! my socks are dripping!"

Thankfully we had arrived early and, of couse, had not checked the baggage. I pulled out another set of clothes and cleaned him up as best I could. Knowing that most janitors place unused trash bags under the trash bag, I looked and YEAH I snagged a plastic bag for the wetties.

We checked our bags, took our dry children and at 12:00am we left Toledo. The train was awesome; plenty of leg room for stretching out, comfortable seats, laid back atmosphere. However, there are no seat assignments until the moment you walk up. Putting the 8 of us together proved to be a problem. That was Okay, I sat close to some children and Jerome sat close to others. The conductor was determined to put the family together and kept checking in with Jerome (waking him up!) and in Pittsburgh we were all together.

We arrived at Union Station Washington DC at 1:00pm in the afternoon. Mary had befriended a lady on the train who was heading in for her twin grandchildren's birth. On arrival, she discovered that the daughter had been rushed to the hospital for an immediate delivery and she was unsure of how to get where she needed to be. We stayed close until she assured us that someone was coming for her.

Then we were off to find our own way to Alexandria, Virginia and our condo. My friend, who lives in the area, offered to pick Wokelle, the luggage and I up. The rest of the tribe was going to Metro to the condo. Transporting a tribe of 8 takes more car than most people have readily available. Let me tell you this is one faithful friend. She flew in last night and still drove to downtown DC to pick me up at Union Station. She helped me lug the bags up and then took me to the local Safeway, so we could have some eats in the unit.  All this from someone I last saw 10 years and 4 kids ago. True blue friend for sure -- we hope to spend some more time with her whole family this week.

Apparently, the metro was really fun. Being in country mindset with little sleep left them a little sluggish though and Braydon almost missed the train. Jerome banged mightly on the door and they opened it enough to shove him on. We now have "metro riding rules" so that if we get separated we can be as safe as possible.

Of course, being a mom part of my "job" follows me even on vacation. So far, I have unpacked, cooked a dinner and washed a load of clothes!

Tomorrow the adventure continues with a trip to the Smithosonian Castle and a scheduled tour of the Pentagon. Hopefully, we will have pictures!

No comments: