The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Code Crackers

Our house is filled with amateur sleuths trying to crack the Christmas present code. This year we caught a touch of the economic-turn-down-virus and have cut back on Christmas. Then, we found a great deal on a Washington DC vacation in January and decided that would be more fun than too many presents anyway. So, the deal the kids understand is that they will get their traditional new ornament on Christmas Eve, one gift each and a small stocking.

I just kept thinking that if I wrapped their one gift each -- they would pick theirs out, feel it up like crazy and leave no excitement for Christmas morning. Ah Ha. I put numeric codes on every package I wrapped. No names. That way I can have presents under the tree and still have some excitement.

It is working so much better than I planned. They have tried to add the digits and see if that makes sense, check if any are the same (a few are) -- how can this be? Hmmm. Did I use their ages? birth orders?  They even went to Dad who said he had nothing to do with the codes and then he did that little look and said -- "You know it is your mother's logic!" Which made everyone feel up the presents to see if they could figure out what was inside and match them up that way.

You see Jerome has a degree in statistics. I have no college degree and I studied things like Spanish and child development when I was in college. I am a touchy, feely, writer, peoply sort of person. So when they heard "Mom's Logic" they figure it makes no sense to anyone but me. I am not entirely sure that I want to be offended, but I can tell you this -- The code has yet to be cracked!

1 comment:

Richardson Family said...

That's a great idea...I have had some sneaky little people ruining things in my closet already!