The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Monday, November 9, 2009

Hard Tellin', Not Knowin'

I was thinking today about silly phrases I say to my children all the time like:

"I'm gonna snatch a knot in your tail."

That was something my Dad used to say and I still say, but the kids know that it is all in fun.

Or after a really crazy and obvious lie, my eyes get big and I say, "Do I have 'stupid' written on my forehead?"

And occassionally I have to tell them, "Sorry, hon, I speak English." After they have mumbled something unintelligible that they assume I have totally understood.

One of my favorites though is, "Hard tellin', not knowin'" Which I got from an old TV show. It is so true, because we want to know how so many things are going to turn out.  "What will happen if..." "Mom, do you think it might..."

"I don't know. Hard tellin' not knowin.'"

But, some things we can know for sure. Those things I am trying desparately to pass to my children. These things I know.  I wrote some of them in my post on the The Last Mama.  At my church Sunday we had a visitor sing a powerful song by The Martins called "The Promise".  Our family sits in the second pew -- which really ought to be the first since no one sits in front of us. I was not prepared for what came my way. I looked into the choir and I saw eyes closed, heads bowed and tear stained cheeks. The tears simply ran from my eyes.

All the things that song promises are for us from Jesus Christ as our savior. He never promises us earthly riches or freedom from troubles. He does most certainly promise that we will never be without him. The last stanza:

I didn't say you'd never taste the bitter kiss of death
Or have to walk thru chilly Jordan to enter into rest
But I did say I'd be waiting right on the other side
And I did say I'll dry every tear you've cried

I have a Mama's heart. I want them to know I will always be here for them, but the truth is... I will be gone someday. I am trying to lead them to the one that will, absolutely, never leave them. I have told them that I know where I am going when I do leave, I want to see them there. I am going home and my final address is in heaven, please make it home.

If you have few minutes, click the link on the title above -- oh and grab a tissue first!

No comments: