The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Friday, November 6, 2009

Educating Mama

I love to read. I really want my kids to love to read. I am having some success, my older two are voracious readers.

Recently, Jerome and I have tried scheduling time, individually, with our children to foster bonding. With Adela and Mary I have times to work in the kitchen together preparing a meal. I am amazed at how much they are learning and enjoying our times together.

With Riane I am having a more loose time. We meet together once a week to pray and discuss whatever is on her mind. Lately, she has asked me to watch a few old musicals with her -- something we both enjoy. We have also decided that I will read some of the same books with her for fun. I tend to read non-fiction books. The last one I picked up was all about Polio, its spread in the US and the hunt for a vaccination. I found it fascinating. Riane's response was, "Only you would read a book about Polio!"

"So, what are you reading, what are we going to start with for discussion?"

"Hamlet."

"Hamlet??"  I haven't read Shakespeare since college. Well, I am reading it now. I am still reading it. She has gleefully finished, went on to polish off Wuthering Heights and is now reading Jane Eyre. Okay, I'll admit it, I am struggling to keep up.

I am being out read by 15 year old. So, keep an eye on my "What I've Been Reading" sidebar. It's definitely going classic.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Shakespeare - who reads this voluntarily? Wow!

Becka said...

Wow - Great to hear another woman that likes to read non-fiction. Lately I have been reading about Israel's Six Day War. Since we adopted from Liberia two years ago it seems that reading took a backseat for a while. It is nice to get back in the 'groove' and read more.