The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Friday, September 25, 2009

Podunk

When I was young, I thought that I wanted to wear lots of high heels and live in a big city with some sort of job that involved a brief case. Well, I came to my senses, married the man of my dreams and ended up in small town Ohio, a place I affectionately call Podunk. There are interesting things to ponder about podunk livin':

I couldn't remember someone's last name, but knew what street they were on. It took 5 minutes to scan the entire phone book and pick them out.

While reading the phone book, I discovered that we have a funeral parlor and they also own the ambulance service -- could be handy.

Everyone knows our name -- if not our name, than the name of the people who owned our house last.We have been here 6 years and are still known as those people that live in the "F____'s" house.

My kids can walk to the library, store or park with relative safety.

There is no fast food restaurant.

The town parades are full of tractors and fire trucks.

The library is not open every day.

The school houses K-12

So, I had to give up my "Tina Turner heels". I would take this life over city livin' anyday. We have camped in the backyard, had bonfires, raised chickens, grown a garden big enough to can from and my kids have the freedom to be kids.

No comments: