The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Friday, May 8, 2009

My, My What Happened to Me?

I haven't posted in forever, but I am still here. Things have just been out of control lately.

I finally finished up my Grand Jury duty. Three months doesn't sound like much, but some of the cases were tough to hear. My last jury duty day was called for an afternoon. Riane can usually watch the kids for me if I have to run out alone, but I didn't know how long it would last. Jerome can not be reached easily at work, I can not be interrupted during jury, so I invited my friend to bring her kids over. I thought it would keep everyone occupied and not really be work for everyone. It was a blast of a day. Everyone had a hootin' good time and I got home early enough to have a nice visit with my friend. That day was my 6 kids plus her 4 kids = 10 kids, 2 adults - big fun!

My other friend has just welcomed in her first grandchild. While she was out of town, I offered to have her kids one afternoon to give them a break. The older kids had to be gone and dropped the 4 youngers. Another afternoon of 10 kids one adult. The next day we had them for dinner -- this time 5 + 6.

I laughed all the way through the week, because God is funny. I NEVER thought I would actually have six children of my own. Watching a friends kid or two when my first children were little, almost sent me into fits -- now 10 or 11 everyday -- no prob! What I have discovered is that the more kids there are the less work there is for the grownup on duty. All the kids usually have a friend or playmate. They entertain each other. All they really want out of me is food or drink when the need hits. Other than that -- they don't need me to chat or play or anything!

Other than riding herd on the lovelies, I have entered the world of serious couponing. Not clipping one here or there, I mean ad-matching, doubling, the whole bit. So far, I have begun a small stockpile and have also saved about 30% on my grocery bill. It is a lot of work, but I am seeing some headway. My blogging time has floated off into researching the best way to pull the belt a bit tighter. What I have discovered here is that is makes things so much more exciting. I use to drag myself to the grocery every week, buy the same things and come home. By the end of the week, the food was gone and I would do it again.

Now, I have ads, coupon binders, such and I am off. I hit the store on a hunt for the best deal. I do not buy the same old things every week. I come home on a high with a receipt a mile long showing all my savings and discounts. The kids excitedly wait to see what new thing I found a great deal on. Are they getting new flavors of yogurt -- different chips -- cool paper towels -- what? I am also learning to stockpile -- which means I am not really out at the end of the week, just filling in the fresh foods and stocking the best items. I don't have it all down yet, and my stockpile is still a bit weak, but I am off on another adventure.

We also took Braydon and another little girl from church to the Regional Bible Quiz at Mount Vernon Nazarene University. They pulled off first and second places. What a great day. Tonight Braydon is off again at the Pre-Teen Lock in at our district center. Our family does not "do" overnights, so Jerome will be picking him up between 12:00am and 2:00am. Whenever the fun is done and the sleeping bags and movie come out.

Life has been a whirlwind, but that should catch us up on the big news. I will try to work on here in the next few days to post pictures.

I hope you are all having some exciting adventures in your families too.

No comments: