The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Friday, February 27, 2009

A Working Woman

I have just heard that I have another shot at my writing thing. I have always liked to write and have had some pipe dreams about pursuing it. I had two articles published once a long time ago. Having two more kids added to the family did slow down my writing.

However, a home school magazine has expressed an interest in my story about Liberian adoption. I have been writing for two weeks. I sent it off yesterday. I hope they buy it. Being interested in my idea and interested in what I actually write are two different things. I am hopeful and it is a paying job.

Today I did my other paying gig. The grand jury duty. It is always sad to hear all the testimony. Nothing fun about drug abuse, domestic violence and theft. We only hear felony cases. The topper of the day was a tour of the jail - another duty of the grand jury. It was an extensive tour, we even saw a locker room, and very informative, just very long.

I did the grocery shopping after, which left me out from 8:00am to 4:00pm. It was like being a working mom. All I can say about that is, I am glad I am a stay-at-home mom. As much as I need a break from the children, I missed them. I like making my own schedule and being here to ride herd on the tribe. When I needed to buckle down and make serious headway on my article, I went to an empty bedroom and locked the door. Well, I had to let the dog in - he was begging at the door. I could still hear all the voices and feel their presence in the house. I like being home.

1 comment:

Marianne Thomas said...

Debbie, many congrats on the articles! I know you'll shine - and it feels so good to see your name in print (for money, too!).

I am in awe of my friends who both work outside the home and raise families - I also like determining the schedule for my days and how I'll allocate my time.

Take care and congrats! Love seeing your comments at TNFM.