The Googegs - Strangers in the World

The Googegs - Strangers in the World

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Challenge

Since I have been homeschooling my kids I feel like I am also getting an education. I can remember studying all these topics in school and now they are so much more exciting. Sometimes, I have to remember what it was like to be a kid and how some of these things may not be so fascinating for them now as they are for me as an adult with some perspective.

It is also keeping my mind a lot sharper. Just think, I am in my fourth round of third grade. Believe me I know my multiplication tables REALLY well. I am learning about history several times over and I am finally getting some of the science in a more than surface way.

The other day I heard about a short quiz that the Intercollegiate Studies Institute has put together. According to their website the average grade for all Americans was 49% and for college educators 55%. I took the test and scored in the 87% range. I was dancing -- not out of pride, but out of acknowledgment. When I was pregnant with my first child, my then boss told me that having children makes you lose brain cells. She had no children and therefore had retained all of her smartness.

I have gone on to have 6 kids and some days I have wondered if indeed the last cell has dropped out of my head. I have a lot of "bodily fluid" discussions. I do say the same inane sentences 5,000 times a day ending with something pithy like, "I'm you mother and you must do what I tell you now -- why is not up for discussion."

The test sent me a tiny message that having children expands your brain cells. I believe my problem solving skills have soared off the chart. I am sure interpersonal communication skills (a.k.a breaking up the arguments) are doing pretty well. Ah, but homeschooling them all has benefited me in a whole different way. Am I "bored" at home -- atrophying from some bizarre "stay-at-home" mom fade away disease? Apparently not. Even without a college degree I can hold my own on a silly online civics quiz. How about you:

No comments: